LEXINGTON, Ky. — The No. 25 Berry College volleyball team dropped their season opener on Friday night, falling to Hope College in straight sets.
Despite a tight opening set (26-24), the Vikings were unable to slow the Hope offense which his .312 for the match. Berry falls to 0-1 on the year.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Berry led 11-6 in the opening set before Hope pulled back to within one.
- The match went back-and-forth for the remainder of the first set, but an errant attack from Berry set Hope up to secure the final point and take a 1-0 lead with a 26-24 score.
- Set two was tied at 14-14 before Hope won eight of the next 10 points to go up 22-16.
- A kill from Carson VanCampen wasn't able to swing the momentum as Hope took set two 25-19.
- Hope controlled the final set, hitting .371 as a team and holding Berry to a .097 attack percentage.
- Despite a tough opening night, Berry also opened last year with a loss at a neutral site. They finished last season 30-7.
- Berry will continue play in Lexington tomorrow with a doubleheader beginning at noon.