JACKSON, Miss. — With a 3-0 sweep of the Millsaps Majors on Friday night, the No. 16 Berry College volleyball team secured their second-straight outright Southern Athletic Association (SAA) Regular Season crown and hosting rights for the SAA tournament on Nov. 2-4.
This is the second consecutive season Berry has hosted the SAA tournament, winning last year's title and advancing to the round of 16 in the NCAA playoffs. Berry is now 19-2 overall and 13-0 in SAA play, just one win short of their second-straight undefeated season in league play.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Vikings claimed the opening set 25-17 off a .279 hitting percentage. Berry also held the Majors to a .048 hitting percentage.
- Millsaps made it tighter in set two, but the Vikings claimed a 25-21 victory to go up 2-0.
- Berry closed it out 25-20 in the third set.
- Laura Beier was a brick wall on the back row, collecting 31 digs which set a program record for digs in a three-set match.
- Emily Hancock led the way offensively, earning 13 kills and hitting .211.
- Emily Rapach also had a strong outing, earning 30 assists which is her highest toal since Sept. 1.
- Emily Hancock: 13 K, .211 K%, 3 AST, 9 D
- Emily Rapach: 5 K, .273 K%, 30 AST, 4 D
- Laura Beier: 31 D, 2 AST
- Christina Goforth: 9 K, .152 K%, 2 AST, 12 D
- Laura Beier's 31 digs is a program-record for most digs in a three-set match.
- Berry will host the SAA tournament in the Cage Center on Nov. 2-4.