SEWANEE, Tenn. — A pair of Vikings goals pushed the Berry College women's soccer team to a 2-0 victory over Meredith in Sewanee today. The Vikings have opened the season 1-0 for the sixth time in the past seven years.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Berry applied pressure early with Carson Gilliam notching a shot on goal in the 16th minute.
- Izzy Van Buren earned a pair of saves in the opening half as well to keep the game scoreless.
- The Vikings were called offside three times in the first half to spoil several offensive chances
- Vanessa Belanger earned her first career goal in the 66th minute, giving Berry a 1-0 advantage.
- Berry continued to control possession until the 85th minute when Samantha Schoppy scored on a corner from Kaitlin Ramsey, sealing the 2-0 win.
- Vanessa Belanger: 1 G (66')
- Samantha Schoppy: 1 G (85')
- Carson Gilliam: 1 SOG
- Izzy Van Buren: 2 SV, 45:00
- Belanger netted her first goal tonight, while Schoppy's goal was her 14th of her career
- Berry will face Huntingdon in Sewanee tomorrow at 6:00 p.m.