By MacKenzie Tuttle, Digital Content Supervisor
ROME, Ga. – Keiley Ayers tallied four times, as the Berry College women’s lacrosse team opened their season with a 9-5 Southern Athletic Association (SAA) victory over Oglethorpe University on Tuesday night.
Shadae Williams started the scoring early for Berry, with seven Vikings scoring before the end of the first half. Ayers led all-scorers with four goals of her own, and Rose Blanchard added two goals in the victory as well. Three other Vikings tallied once on the night: Ashley Merritt, Maddie Yokeley and Williams.
The Stormy Petrels’ Elena Gierok led Oglethorpe’s offense on the night, adding two goals. Berry led the contest in draw controls (9-7), shots (27-14) and ground balls (24-19). Ella Makin earned the complete-game win in goal for Berry, recording seven saves, while allowing five goals and moving the Vikings to 1-0 on the year. Jordan Chandler took the loss in goal for Oglethorpe, recording eight saves, while allowing nine goals as the Stormy Petrels fell to an 0-1 record.
- Keiley Ayers: 4 G, 8 SH, 6 SOG, 4 GB, 5 DC
- Rose Blanchard: 2 G, 4 SH, 3 SOG, GB, DC
- Ashley Merritt: G, 3 A, 2 SH, SOG, GB
- Maddie Yokeley: G, 5 SH, 3 SOG, 4 GB, CT
- Shadae Williams: G, 3 SH, SOG, 3 GB, 2 DC, 2 CT
- Elena Gierok: 2 G, 3 SH, 3 SOG, 2 GB
- Caroline Chamberlain: G, 2 SH, 2 SOG, 2 DC, CT
- Madison Goss: G, 3 SH, 2 SOG, 4 GB, 6 DC
- Jill Czaplinski: G, SH, SOG, GB, CT
The Vikings will host LaGrange College in their next contest on Wednesday, Feb. 21 at 7:00 p.m.