By MacKenzie Tuttle, Digital Content Supervisor
MOUNT BERRY, Ga. – The Berry College women's basketball team rallied from a 17-point second-half deficit on Sunday afternoon, topping Hendrix College 75-74.
Hendrix jumped out to a quick lead in the contest, outscoring Berry 17-6 in the opening quarter. Both teams then added 21 points in the second quarter, with the Vikings down 38-27 going into halftime. Berry chipped away at the lead in the third quarter, before shooting 53.8-percent (7-for-13) from the field in the final 10 minutes of play to ensure the victory.
Nia Smith led the Vikings offense in the outing, scoring 20 points, while shooting a perfect 10-for-10 from the free throw line. Two other players added double-digit points in the win for Berry as well: Eveline Parsons and Alex Weems. Parsons finished with 19 points and four assists, while Weems finished with 15 points, four blocks and three steals.
The win was the second straight for the Vikings, as they improved to 10-11 overall and 5-6 in the Southern Athletic Association. Hendrix falls to 15-7 and 7-4, shooting 41.0-percent (25-of-61) to Berry’s 41.5-percent (22-of-53).
- Nia Smith: 20 PTS, 4-for-11 FG, 2-for-4 3PT, 10-for-10 FT, 7 REB, BLK
- Eveline Parsons: 19 PTS, 7-for-13 FG, 1-for-5 3PT, 4-for-5 FT, 4 AST
- AlexWeems: 15 PTS, 6-for-10 FG, 3-for-3 FT, 4 BLK, 3 STL
- Vinessa Daniel: 18 PTS, 5-for-13 FG, 1-for-2 3PT, 7-for-9 FT, 6 REB, 2 AST
- Madison Martin: 15 PTS, 6-for-13 FG, 3-for-4 FT, 12 REB
- Leah Boehl: 13 PTS, 4-for-7 FG, 4-for-5 3PT, 1-for-2 FT, 3 AST
Berry will travel to Danville, Ky., as they take on the Colonels of Centre in their next contest on Friday, Feb. 9 at 6:00 p.m.