By: Leigh Hadaway, Sports Information Assistant
MOUNT BERRY, Ga. — Despite a strong opening half, closing the second quarter with a 35-32 lead, the Berry College women’s basketball team fell to the Sewanee Tigers 86-78 on Sunday afternoon.
Alex Weems led the Vikings both offensively and defensively, with a season-high 27 points and 11 rebounds. Alex Kiernan also had a strong performance on the afternoon, adding 14 points and 10 rebounds. The Vikings shot 37.1-percent (23-for-62) to the Tiger’s 42.4% (25-for-59) but won the rebound contest with 46 rebounds to 41.
Free throws played a large part in the game, as both teams shot 78 combined. Weems hit 15 placing her tied at second in Berry's NCAA Division III era for free throws made in a game. On the other side of the ball, Sewanee's Bella Taylor hit 18 free throws en route to a 40 point performance.
- Alex Weems: 27 PTS, 6-for-16 FG, 15-for-18 FT, 11 REB
- Alex Kiernan: 14 PTS, 4-for-9 FG, 3-for-7 3PT,10 REB
- Jana Morning: 12 PTS, 6-for-12 FG, 5 AST, 6 REB
- Bella Taylor: 40 PTS, 10-for-20 FG, 2-for-5 3PT, 9 REB
- Hannah McCormack: 15 PTS, 5-for-16 FG, 7 REB
- Kelley Myers: 14 PTS, 4-for-7 FG, 4-for-7 3PT, 3 REB
- The loss drops the Vikings to 6-9 record overall, and 1-4 in conference play.
- Sewanee improves to a 6-9 and 1-4.
- The Vikings will travel to Birmingham Southern on Friday, January 19th for a 7:00 p.m. tip-off.