LA VERNE, Calif. — The Berry College softball team opened its spring break trip with a split against the La Verne Leopards on Sunday. The Vikings now sit at 8-2 on the year.
Berry dropped the opening game by a narrow 3-2 margin, but claimed game two 9-5. Meredith Holland earned the start in the opening contest, going 6.0 innings allowing just three runs. Makenzie Flynt claimed her fourth win of the year in game two, tossing 5.0 innings.
- Berry struck first, plating one in the second off a Makenzie Flynt double.
- La Verne evened the game in the home half of the inning off a Carly Condon sacrifice fly.
- The Leopards went ahead 2-1 in the third off a Gabriella Underwood single.
- Katling Seger knotted it up again in the fifth with an RBI single.
- La Verne claimed the lead for good in the sixth off a Bailey Grani double and an error.
- Berry once again scored first in game two. Kayla Sangrey gave the Vikings their first run off her first of two home runs in the second. Sam Crabtree added another run in the inning with a sacrifice fly. Berry led 2-0.
- Sangrey hit her second long ball in the fifth, this time a two-run shot to give Berry a 4-0 advantage.
- Brooke Whittemore then homered in the same inning before a Bayleigh Masteron double gave the Vikings a 7-0 lead.
- The Leopards plated four in the fifth, but Brooke Whittemore gave Berry some insurance in the top of the seventh with a two-RBI single.
- La Verne scored one in the seventh, but Emily Schechter worker her way to her second save of the year.
Berry faces No. 3 Ithaca in La Verne tomorrow at noon ET.