By: Joshua Mabry, Sports Information Assistant
ROME, Ga. – The Berry College softball team fell 5-4 on Saturday to the Centre College Colonels after splitting a doubleheader with the Colonels on Friday. Kayla Sangrey hit two home runs for the Vikings.
Berry is now 26-10 on the season and 13-5 in Southern Athletic Association (SAA) conference play while Centre is now 12-21 on the season and 9-8 in SAA play. Meredith Holland took the loss, making her record 11-5 on the season. Abbey Gamble tossed 5.1 innings in relief, giving up two runs and striking out one.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Centre struck first in the top of the first off of a Sarah Aubuchon RBI single.
- Centre scored again in the top of the second off of a Melissa Collins two RBI double.
- Berry did not score until the home half of the second when Kayla Sangrey hit a two-run home run.
- Centre scored again in the top of the third. Rileyanne Sharpe singled, scoring Abigail Harper.
- Berry scored again in the bottom of the fourth off of another Kayla Sangrey home run making the score 4-3 in favor of Centre.
- Centre scored another run in the top of the fifth. Cassidy Cook scored off of a sacrifice bunt.
- Berry scored the final run of the game in the bottom of the fifth. Hunter Padgett scored off of a sacrifice fly.
- Kayla Sangrey: 2-for-2, 2 HR, 3 RBI
- Abbey Gamble: 2-for-3
- Hunter Padgett: 2-for-2, R
- Abbey Gamble: 5.1 IP, 7 H, 2 R, 3 BB, 1 K
Berry will host Piedmont in an out-of-conference doubleheader on Monday beginning at 4 p.m. for its final two games of the regular season.