ROME, Ga. — The Berry Vikings softball split Friday’s doubleheader against the Centre College Colonels, losing game one 5-3 and winning game two 10-0. The Vikings record now sits at 26-9 overall and 13-4 in SAA play.
Sophomore Meredith Holland dominated the Colonels in game two, pitching five shutout innings on four hits and striking out two.
- Centre struck first with one run in the first to take a 1-0 lead
- Madison Morgan tied the game in the bottom of the first with a RBI single, scoring Samantha Crabtree
- Centre added four runs in the fifth inning to retake the lead and give the Colonels a 5-1 lead.
- Bayleigh Masterson doubled home Brooke Whittemore to cut the deficit to 5-3 in the sixth
- The Vikings added one more on a Katlin Seger RBI double, scoring Masterson to make it 5-3.
- Berry kicked off the scoring in the bottom of the first with a two-RBI double off the bat of Morgan, bringing home Masterson and Crabtree to take a 2-0 lead
- Morgan would later score on a RBI single from Genna Telschow, extending the lead to 3-0
- The Vikings added another run in the second with an RBI groundout from Whittemore, making it 4-0
- Abbey Gamble scored on a wild pitch in the fourth to make it 5-0
- Morgan continued her phenomenal day with a grand slam to blow the game open in favor of the Vikings 9-0
- Telschow added the final run of the day with an RBI double scoring Kayla Sangrey, to give Berry the 10-0 win.
- Madison Morgan: 3-for-4, HR, 7 RBI, 2 R, BB
- Genna Telschow: 3-for-4, 2 2B, 2 RBI
- Bayleigh Masterson: 2-for-5, 2 2B, 3 R, BB
- Katlin Seger: 2-for-6, 2B, RBI, R
- Meredith Holland: W (11-4) , 5.0 IP , CG , 4 H, 2 K
The Vikings will face the Colonels in the rubber match on Saturday afternoon, first pitch is scheduled for 12:00 PM.