By: Bryce Koon, Sports Information Assistant
SEWANEE, Tenn. — The No. 9 Berry Vikings softball team opened up conference play with a doubleheader sweep over SAA foe Sewanee. The Vikings won both games by big margins, with finals of 16-4 and 12-4.
The Vikings stayed undefeated, improving to 5-0 overall and 2-0 in SAA play.
- The Vikings jumped out big scoring runs in the second, third and fourth innings to take a 8-0 lead. The highlight was a third-inning home run off the bat of sophomore Brooke Whittemore.
- Sewanee would cut the lead to 8-3 in the bottom of the fourth, but the Vikings exploded in the top of the fifth inning, extending the lead 16-3 . Makenzie Flynt drilled a two-run homer in the inning to highlight the inning.
- Meredith Holland would shut down the Tigers the rest of they way, as Sewanne could only tally one run in the bottom of the fifth to give the Vikings the run-rule victory.
- Berry picked up where they left off in game number two, jumping out to a quick 1-0 lead courtesy of a RBI single from Katlin Seger.
- Sewanee would answer right back with two runs to take a 2-1 lead heading into the second inning.
- After a solo homerun from sophomore Samantha Crabtree, the Vikings retook the lead, 4-2, when Seger doubled home two runs.
- The Tigers wouldn’t go away quietly though as they tied the game in the bottom of the second.
- Much like in game number one, the Vikings broke out in the third inning to take a huge lead. This time the Vikings put up five runs to make it 9-4, highlighted by a sac fly from Seger and a RBI single from Whittemore.
- The Vikings would add three more runs in the sixth inning to secure the 12-4 victory and the sweep.
- Katlin Seger: 5-for-7, 2 R, 7 RBI
- Brooke Whittemore: 5-for-8, HR, 4 RBI, 3 R
- Samantha Crabtree: 6-for-7, HR, 3 RBI, R
Berry will be action next as they travel to take on Maryville (TN) next Wednesday in a doubleheader starting at 2:00 P.M