CHATTANOOGA, Tenn. — Meredith Holland tossed a no-hitter through 3.0 innings and Abbey Gamble hit her first career home run as the Berry softball team defeated Sewanee 11-0 in the opening round of the Southern Athletic Association (SAA) tournament.
Holland claimed the victory, striking out four batters. Three Vikings sluggers recorded multi-hit games in the run-rule victory.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Berry roared out of the gates, plating five runs in the first inning. Gamble's two-run shot scored Katlin Seger to give Berry the 5-0 advantage.
- The Vikings plated three in the second off a sacrifice fly from Bayleigh Masterson and a single from Madison Morgan.
- Meghan Hunt then tripled in the fourth inning, clearing the bases to give the Vikings the 11-0 lead.
- Emily Schechter tossed a pair of shutout innings in relief, striking out two.
- Samantha Crabtree: 3-for-3, 2 R
- Brooke Whittemore: 2-for-3, 1 R
- Katlin Seger: 2-for-3, 1 RBI, 1 R
- Abbey Gamble: 1-for-2, 2 RBI, 2 R
- Meredith Holland: W (12-5), 3.0 IP, 0 H, 4 K
Berry faces Rhodes tomorrow at noon in the winner's bracket.