By MacKenzie Tuttle, Digital Content Supervisor
ROME, Ga. – Combing for 29 hits in the two games, the Berry College softball team earned their first conference sweep of the year, defeating Sewanee 15-2 and 10-2 in back-to-back run-rule victories on Saturday.
GAME ONE RECAP:
- The Vikings jumped out to an early lead in game one against the Tigers, plating nine runs in the bottom of the first inning.
- Berry then added at least one run in each of their next three at bats to ensure the 15-2 victory.
- Four Vikings finished the contest with multi-hit games at the plate, with Shelby Daniel leading the offense with three hits and three RBIs.
- Sewanee scored their only two runs of the contest in the top of the fourth inning, following a fielder’s choice RBI and an RBI infield single to bring home two Tigers and cut the lead to 15-2.
- Kassie Howard earned her third win of the season on the mound in the outing. She tossed three complete innings, allowing no hits and no runs while striking out eight Tigers.
- The Vikings finished the matchup with 13 hits and only one error, while Sewanee finished the game with two errors and just three hits.
GAME TWO RECAP:
- Berry jumped out to another early lead in game two, scoring four runs in the bottom of the first inning, following five RBI singles to give the Vikings an early 4-0 lead.
- The Vikings then added two additional runs in the bottom of the second inning before the Tigers responded with a pair of runs of their own in the top of the third.
- Sewanee’s Rachel Hoffman singled to left field to bring home Jackie O’Reilly, and Caroline Sweetin added a double in the same inning to knock in Miranda Townsend and cut the Vikings’ lead to 6-2.
- Berry immediately responded, plating one more run in the bottom of the third inning before adding an additional three runs in the bottom of the fifth inning to ensure the 10-2 run-rule victory.
- The Vikings committed three errors in the win, while finishing the series with an additional 16 hits.
- Brittany Tuttle and Makayley Cain led Berry at the plate in the contest, finishing with three hits apiece.
- Meredith Holland (3-1) earned the complete-game win in the circle for Berry, allowing just two hits and two runs in her five innings of work, while striking out four Tigers.
BERRY STATISTICAL STANDOUTS:
- Makayley Cain: 3-for-4, R, RBI
- Brittany Tuttle: 3-for-5, 3 R, RBI, BB, 3 SB
- Kylie Aiken: 2-for-2, 2 R, 4 RBIs, SB
- Shelby Daniel: 3-for-3, R, 3 RBIs, 2 2B
SEWANEE STATISTICAL STANDOUTS:
- Rachel Hoffman: 1-for-5, RBI
- Caroline Sweetin: 1-for-5, RBI
- Jackie O’Reilly: 1-for-4, RBI, BB
- Katie Bender: 1-for-4, R
- Katrina Ramos: 1-for-3, BB
Berry will host Maryville (Tenn.) in their next games on Tuesday, Feb. 27. First pitch of the doubleheader is set for 5:00 p.m.