By Genesis Leggett, Sports Information Assistant
ROME, Ga. – Combining for 19 hits in the two games, the Berry College softball team bested the Maryville College Scots, defeating them 10-0 and 9-3 in back-to-back victories on Tuesday night.
GAME ONE RECAP:
- The Vikings jumped out to an early lead in game one against the Scots, Elisabeth Federici homered to left field bringing in Brittany Tuttle in the bottom of the first inning to give Berry a 2-0 lead.
- In the bottom of the second, Kylie Aiken doubled to center bringing in Madison McGarrah and Kaitlin Seger and pushing the lead to 4-0.
- Bayleigh Masterson then homered to left center bringing in Kylie Aiken and Brooke Whittemore to move the score to 7-0.
- In the bottom of the third, Masterson came back with a double to left center, bringing in Whittemore, McGarrah, and Kaitlin Seger to ensure the 10-0 victory.
- Kassie Howard earned the win on the mound in the contest. She tossed three complete innings, allowing no hits and no runs while striking out seven Scots.
- The Vikings finished the matchup with nine hits and no errors, while Maryville finished the game with one error and just three hits.
GAME TWO RECAP:
- Berry kept the energy going into game two, scoring three runs in the bottom of the first inning, followed by two additional runs in the bottom of the second, leading 5-0.
- The Scot's responded in the top of the fourth inning when Taylor Campbell homered to center field, bringing in Essence Strambler to move the score to 5-2.
- The Vikings then countered in the bottom of the fourth, with a double to left center by Federic to knock in two runs and expand the lead to 7-2.
- Masterson added her second homer over the left field fence in the nightcap, bringing in two RBIs and upping the score 9-2.
- Despite their efforts, the Scots could only plate one additional run in the top of the seventh inning, rounding out the 9-3 Berry victory.
- The Vikings committed one error in the win, while finishing the series with an additional 10 hits.
- Kassie Howard (6-1) earned the win in the circle for Berry, allowing just four hits and two runs in her five innings of work, while striking out seven of her opponents.
BERRY STATISTICAL STANDOUTS:
- Bayleigh Masterson: 4-for-7, 2 R, 10 RBIs, 2 HR
- Elisabeth Federici: 2-for-5, 2 R, 4 RBIs
- Kaitlin Seger: 3-for-5, 2 R, 2 RBIs
- Brooke Whittemore 3-for-5, 3 R
- Brittany Tuttle: 2-for-5, 4 R,
- Kylie Aiken: 2-for-5, 2 R, 3 RBIs
- Kassie Howard: 8.0 IP, 14 K, 4 H, 2 R
MARYVILLE STATISTICAL STANDOUTS:
- Essence Strambler: 2-for-5, R, RBI
- Taylor Campbell: 2-for-6, R, 2 RBIs
- Masterson led Berry at the plate in the doubleheader, finishing with four hits, two homeruns and 10 RBIs.
Berry will travel to Tuscan, Arizona, to open play at the NFCA Leadoff Classic on Friday.