By MacKenzie Tuttle, Digital Content Supervisor
ROME, Ga. – The No. 19 Berry College softball team improved to 4-0 on the year, sweeping the Hawks of Huntingdon College, 11-2 and 9-1 on Friday afternoon.
The Vikings finished the day with a combined 21 hits to add two additional run-rule victories on the year, extending their win streak to four straight games. On the day, Berry also finished with just two errors to Huntingdon’s five.
GAME ONE HIGHLIGHTS:
- Stringing together 12 hits, the Vikings started the day with an 11-2 victory over the Hawks.
- Kylie Aiken opened up scoring in the first inning, as Bayleigh Masterson stole second to bring Aiken home on the throw and give Berry a 1-0 lead.
- Huntingdon responded in the top of the third inning, as Kaci Cochran added a bunt single down the third base line to bring home Alyssa Singleterry and tie the score at 1-1.
- Berry answered, plating six runs in the bottom of the same inning.
- Masterson, Katlin Seger, Kayla Sangrey and Shelby Daniel all added back-to-back RBI singles to move the score to 5-1.
- Brooke Whittemore and Callahan Baker then rounded out the inning with back-to-back sacrifice flies to drive home two additional runs and push the score to 7-1.
- The Vikings tacked on four additional runs in the bottom of the fourth inning as well.
- Masterson added a solo homerun over the left center wall and Makayley Cain finished the contest with a three RBI double to right center to put the run-rule into effect.
- Huntingdon looked to keep the game alive in the top of the fifth, as Singleterry scored on a wild pitch with two outs to cut the Berry led to 11-2.
- The Hawks added two additional base runners, but Berry retired the side on a fly out to left field to ensure the 11-2 run-rule victory.
- Freshman Meredith Holland earned her second win of the season in the outing. Holland threw all five innings, allowing seven hits and two earned runs, while striking out five Hawks.
GAME TWO HIGHLIGHTS:
- The Vikings jumped out to an early lead in game two as well, as Masterson doubled down the left field line to bring home Kylie Aiken and open up the game ahead 1-0 in the bottom of the first inning.
- Berry then tacked on an additional three runs in the bottom of the second inning.
- Brittany Tuttle and Aiken each added singles to left field, followed by a sacrifice fly from Masterson to expand the lead to 4-0.
- Huntingdon added their sole run of the game in the top of the third inning, as McKenzie Ridgway hit the second sacrifice fly of the game to bring home Amari Fleming and cut the Vikings’ led to 4-1.
- Berry added an additional three runs in the bottom of the fourth, following a Huntingdon error and a two RBI double to center field by Makenzie Flynt to push the score to 7-1.
- Federici then homered to left center in the bottom of the fifth inning to bring in the Vikings’ final two runs and ensure the 9-1 run-rule victory.
- Kassie Howard earned the complete-game victory in the circle for Berry. She threw all five innings, allowing only two hits, while striking out six batters.
BERRY STATISTICAL STANDOUTS:
- Shelby Daniel: 4-for-4, RBI, R SB
- Kylie Aiken: 5-for-6, 3 R, 2B, 2 SB, RBI
- Bayleigh Masterson: 3-for-4, 3 R, 4 RBI, HR, 2 SB, 2B
- Brittany Tuttle: 2-for-7, R, RBI
- Elisabeth Federici: 1-for-4, 3 R, 2 RBI, BB, HR, SB
- Makayley Cain: 2-for-2, 3 RBI, 2B, R
HUNTINGDON STATISTICAL STANDOUTS:
- Alyssa Singleterry: 3-for-3, 2 R, 2 RBI, 2 BB, SB
- McKenzie Ridgway: 1-for-4, RBI
- Kaci Cochran: 3-for-3, RBI
- MacKenzie Smelley: 1-for-2
- Samara Miller: 1-for-2
Berry will travel to Atlanta on Saturday, Feb. 16 for their next doubleheader set against Emory University. First pitch of the doubleheader will be thrown at 12:00 p.m.