By MacKenzie Tuttle, Digital Content Supervisor
MOUNT BERRY, Ga. – Adding a season-high 21 hits in the doubleheader, the No. 6 Berry College softball team defeated No. 7 Texas Lutheran University twice on Friday afternoon. Game scores were 10-0 and 10-6.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Berry opened up scoring in game one in the bottom of the first inning on an RBI groundout from Marie Collop. Sarah Moore then scored on a wild pitch to move the score to 2-0.
- The Vikings then added eight runs in the bottom of the fourth inning to ensure the Berry victory. Kenzie Fleming homered to start the inning, and five consecutive base hits gave Berry the run-rule win.
- In game two, the Vikings scored early, leading 10-0 just two innings into the contest.
- Berry's first runs of the game came off of two Bulldog throwing errors, followed by an RBI single into right field from Kayla Sangrey.
- The Vikings' seven additional runs in the bottom of the second inning then came from four Berry hits.
- Texas-Lutheran responded with a sacrifice fly from Cassie Roche to score the first Bulldog run of the game in the top of the third inning.
- Texas-Lutheran's Kelsie McEachern then hit a two-run homerun in the very next at-bat, moving the score to 10-3.
- Roche added one more sacrifice fly in the top of the sixth inning to push the score to 10-4 before the end of the contest.
- On the day, Berry outhit Texas-Lutheran 21-6.
- The Vikings also added only two errors to the Bulldogs' five.
BERRY STATISTICAL STANDOUTS:
- Fleming: 3-for-4, 3 RBIs, 2 R, BB
- Elisabeth Federici: 2-for-6, 2 RBI, R
- Moore: 2-for-5, 3 R, 2 RBIs, 2 SB
- Brittany Ferrell: 2-for-5, 4 R, RBI
- Brittany Tuttle: 2-for-7, 3 R, RBI
- Sangrey: 2-for-3, RBI, R
- Collop: 3-for-7, 2 RBIs, 2 R; 5.0 IP, BB, 7 K, 0 ER, 0 H
- Kassie Howard: 6 IP, 6 H, 3 ER, 11 K, 5 BB
TEXAS-LUTHERAN STATISTICAL STANDOUTS:
- McEachern: 2-for-5, 2 RBIs, R, BB
- Madisyn Cates: 2-for-3
- Roche: 1-for-4, 2 RBIs
- Kyla Lockley: 1-for-4, 2 R, 2 BB
- Amanda Lochte: 4.1 IP, 5 H, ER, BB
- Collop (2-0) tossed her second straight no hitter in the first game against the Bulldogs, only one walk away from a perfect game.
- With the win, the Vikings improve to a perfect 6-0 on the season.
- Texas-Lutheran falls to 0-4 overall.
The No. 6 Vikings will host No.4 Emory University in a doubleheader beginning tomorrow at 1:00pm.