By MacKenzie Tuttle, Digital Content Supervisor
MOUNT BERRY, Ga. – The No. 7 Berry College softball team swept the No. 4 Eagles of Emory University in a doubleheader on Saturday afternoon against the reigning NCAA Super Regional Champs. Game scores were 4-3 and 14-2.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Vikings opened game one scoring in the top of the first inning. Sarah Moore singled through the left side to knock in Brittany Ferrell and move the score to 1-0.
- Emory then added two runs in the top of the second inning to regain 2-1 lead.
- A ground out RBI from Marie Collop to score Brittany Tuttle in the bottom of the third then tied the game up at 2-2.
- The Eagles responded, adding a run of their own off a sacrifice fly from Sarah Flanders to push the score to 3-2.
- Moore then doubled for the Vikings in the bottom of the fifth inning to tie the game back up at 3-3.
- The score remained tied until the bottom of the seventh inning. With bases loaded Collop hit into fielder’s choice, while Tuttle scored from second to give Berry the 4-3 victory.
- The Vikings then added 14 hits in the nightcap to cruise to a 14-2 victory over the Eagles.
- Berry scored six and five runs in the second and third innings, respectively, to ensure the run-rule victory.
BERRY STATISTICAL STANDOUTS:
- Tuttle: 4-for-7, 5 R, 4 SB, RBI
- Moore: 4-for-7, 6 RBIs, R
- Brittany Ferrell: 1-for-3, 3 R, 2 SB, 2 BB
- Kylie Aiken: 2-for-2, 3 R, 2 BB, 2 RBIs
- Madison McGarrah: 2-for-2, R
- Elisabeth Federici: 2-for-5, 2 R
- Kassie Howard: 7 IP, 1 H, 3 ER, 8 SO, 8 BB
- Collop: 5.0 IP, 5 H, 2 ER, 4 SO
EMORY STATISTICAL STANDOUTS:
- Flanders: 2 BB, 2 RBIs
- Amy Wray: 3-for-4, BB, RBI
- Jessy McLean: 2-for-3, R, RBI
- Brittany File: 6.2 IP, 7 H, 4 ER, 4 BB, 3 SO
- The Vikings improve to 8-0 overall on the season, beating their second straight nationally-ranked opponent.
- With the loss, Emory falls to 3-3 on the year.
- Nineteen Vikings saw action in the second game.
Berry will travel to Chattanooga, Tenn., to play the Covenant College Scots in a doubleheader on Wednesday, Feb. 22 at 5:00pm.