By Meredith Herman, Sports Information Assistant
SEWANEE, Tenn. – The Berry College track & field teams closed competition at the 2018 Southern Athletic Association (SAA) Conference Championships on Saturday. The men finished fourth overall while the women's team finished sixth.
The men had several strong marks across the board in a tight field to finish fourth for the second straight year. The Berry 4x100m relay team highlighted day two, as the Vikings earned first in the event with a school record time of 41.51. Rory Fleming also raced to a school record time in the 400m hurdles with a 55.96, earning second in the event.
On the women's side, Berry's relays highlighted day two on the record books with both the 4x100m (50.82) and 4x400m (4:17.51) relay teams earning school records. Alainna Chretien earned 2nd in the 800m and also won the 1,500m with a 4:44.75. Meredith Herman also earned a 2nd place finish in the steeplechase with a 11:10.99. In the field events, Rachel Bibbey earned 2nd in the discus to earn points for Berry.
Full results can be found HERE. More details, including Berry's All-Conference winners will be announced in the coming days.
- Alexa Bilsky placed 3rd in the Women's Javelin.
- AJ O'Brien jumped to 4th in the Men's Triple Jump.
- In the Women's Discus, Rachel Bibbey placed 2nd
- Senior Quincy Watford placed 4th in the Men's High Jump.
- Sophomores Meredith Herman and Abby Carroll went 5-7 in the Women's 5,000m.
- Parker Roberts ran a very tight and competitive 5,000m placing 8th.
- The women's 4x100 and 4x400 relay teams set school records
- The Men's 4x100m relay swept the competition, running a 41.51 and taking first place in a school record time.
- Alainna Chretien took the lead in the Women's 1,500m, placing 1st and running a PR of 4:44.75. She later came back in the 800m, taking 2nd place.
- Freshmen Cameron Bensley raced to 8th place in the Men's 1500m.
- In the Men's 110H and 400H, Senior Rory Fleming placed 2nd, setting a school record in the 400H
- Curtis Stone, Quincy Watford, and Derrell Mims went 2-5-7 respectively in the Men's 100m Dash.
- Brayden Fulton and Will Knowlton took 3rd and 4th in the Men's 800m respectfully with 1:55.79 and 1:56.92.
- Berry's 4x100m relay team is currently ranked No. 3 in NCAA Division III after their race today.
WHAT THEY SAID:
"We had a great day two to finish off the meet. While on paper, our team placings were less than what we were shooting for, they are nowhere close to an indication of how we performed today. We had some great performances across the board. Our conference has gotten stronger and deeper in response to us adding our program. The men's 4x100m relay team win was a big one and puts them as one of the top teams in the nation right now. Alainna had an amazing race winning the 1,500m and then coming back to take second in the 800m and leading the 4x400 relay team to a new school record. It was a great day all around and while it is not where we ultimately want to be, I couldn't be more proud of the way we competed".