ROME, Ga. — The Berry College swimming & diving teams brought in the new year competing in the South Florida Classic Sprint Invitational with strong swims in a long course meters pool.
The meet, hosted by the Collegiate Swim Coaches Association of America (CSCAA), was attended by The University of Nebraska, Omaha, Hiram College, Birmingham-Southern and Berry. At the conclusion of the meet both teams pushed to second place finishes.
“All in all in was a great meet for the Viking during a difficult and intense week of training," head coach Paul Flinchbaugh said. "I was truly proud to see everyone step out of their comfort zone and race so very well in a long course meters pool during such a tough week of training.”
- The 200 Meter Medley Relay finished with the women taking 2nd, 5th, 8th and 9th overall with the men claiming 2nd, 4th, and 6th.
- In the 50 Meter Butterfly all three women swimming placed in the top ten with Josie Hadaway in 4th (31.53), Cali Filmer in 5th (31.82) and Andi Hadaway coming in 7th (32.52).
- On the men’s side Junior Cyrus Nabavi claimed first clocking a 27.83 closely followed by Cory Mullins in 3rd at 28.50 and Cole Beddingfield taking 4th (28.88).
- Placing in the top 10 in the 50 Meter Backstroke, Sydney Ragsdale took 3rd at 34.69 with Charlotte Whitmer finishing 10th at 36.01.
- In the men’s 50 Meter Backstroke Bo Dyar and Dylan White teamed up for a 2–3 finish going 30.91 and 31.26, respectively. Justin Gynther rounded out the field in 8th with a 35.72.
- The 50 Meter Breaststroke concluded with Lily Jenkins capturing 3rd (39.04) and Brooke Boyd also within the top ten finishing 7th at 40.18. Freshman Tyler Stephenson won the men’s event with a 31.74. Also swimming fo the Viking was Laramie Sellers and Spencer O’Neale touching in 4th (33.62) and 6th (34.00), respectively.
- The 50 Meter Freestyle was a strong event for both the men and women where Haley Brown took first place for the women going 27.99 and Michael Bemis finishing first for the men posting a 25.43. Also in the top ten for the men were Jackson Parker in 3rd (26.48), Riley Croker in 4th (27.11), Eric Hammer in 5th (27.20) and Zac Harvey in 9th (28.06).
- To conclude the meet the women's team took 4th, 5th, 7th and 8th in the 200 Meter Freestyle Relay and the men again teamed up to take the 2nd, 4th, and 6th place slots.
The Vikings are back in action January 11th & 12th at home in the Annual Viking Classic.