By: Leigh Hadaway, Sports Information Assistant
SAVANNAH, Ga. — The Berry College men and women swim teams closed a weekend of competition at the 14th Annual SCAD Invitational Saturday night. The Vikings competed against teams from across the southeast, and both teams finished within the top ten.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Both the men and women opened competition with top 20 finishes in the 200 medley relay. The women (Sydney Ragsdale, Lily Jenkins, Andie Hadaway and Haley Brown) recorded a 1:53. 42, while the men (Dylan White, Laramie Sellers, Cyrus Nabavi and Michael Bemis) clocked a 1:38.37.
- Haley Brown claimed first in the 50 yard freestyle.
- The Vikings continued their momentum in the 500 yard freestyle, as Brooke Boyd finished with a 5:10.13, and White put up a 4:48.02 on the men's side.
- The Thursday night session of the meet concluded with a top-ten finish in the 800 freestyle relay by Brooke Boyd, Sarah Pierce, Andie Hadaway and Brown, who clocked a 8:09.24.
- Friday night opened with another top-ten finish in the 200 freestyle relay from Haley Brown, Grace Bailey, Sarah Pierce and Brooke Boyd (1:41.48).
- Berry saw strong individual swims on both teams Friday night, highlighted by Jenkins in the 100 breaststroke, with a time of 1:08.99, Ragsdale in the 100 backstroke with a 1:01.22, and Dylan White with an eighth place finish in the 100 backstroke, swimming a 51.71.
- Following strong 400 medley relay events on both sides, Boyd swam to a ninth place finish in the 1650 freestyle, with a time of 17:44.62. The women's team continued their momentum with Ragsdale's 2:13.29 in the 200 backstroke, placing her in the top 16.
- White and Nabavi headlined the 200 backstroke for the men's team, swimming a 1:52.86 and a 2:01.47, respectively. White finished ranked sixth in the event.
- The Vikings showed their strength in the 100 yard freestyle event as Brown took fourth place with a 52.19 for the women and Bemis placed tenth for the men with a 46.88. Jackson Parker rounded out the 100 yard freestyle with a 48.90.
- Jenkins, Boyd and Burch all landed in the top 24 in the 200 yard breaststroke, with Jenkins leading the trio with a 2:29.33. Sarah Pierce then swam to eleventh in the 200 yard butterfly with a 2:10.95.
- Competition closed with an eighth place performance by Jackson Parker, Laramie Sellers, Dylan White and Michael Bemis in the 400 freestyle relay, clocking a 3:13.09.
- The Vikings will travel to Sunny Isles, Florida over Christmas Break and will resume competition on January 11th at the Cage pool. Competition is set for a 4:00 start time.