MEMPHIS, Tenn. — The Berry College men's lacrosse team defeated Centre College 9-6 on Friday evening, advancing to the team's first Southern Athletics Association (SAA) Championship game since 2015.
Chris Berchock led the team offensively, scoring a hat trick on seven shots. McKinley Gannon scored two on nine shots. The Vikings defense forced 11 turnovers and allowed just 11 shots on cage. Josh Baker went 10-for-18 on faceoffs, helping Berry to 36 ground balls.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Centre struck first off a goal from John Morrison, but Chris Berchock scored the equalizer with just over a minute and a half left in the first quarter off a dish from Luke Koferl.
- Berry then scored three unanswered goals to take a 4-1 lead into the break.
- The Colonels scored first out of the half, but Gannon and Koferl each tallied minutes later to give Berry a 6-2 lead.
- Luke Johnson scored with three seconds left in the third to cut the lead to 6-3.
- Berry went even with Centre in the fourth as each team scored three apiece.
- Chris Berchock: 3 G, 7 SH, 4 SOG
- McKinley Gannon: 2 G, 9 SH, 4 SOG
- Justin Westbrook: 2 AST, 4 SH, 3 GB
- Noah Steiner: 1 G, 2 SH, 2 CT
Berry will face Rhodes College in the SAA Championship game on Sunday at 2:00 p.m. ET.