ROME, Ga. — Rallying from a 15-point first-half deficit, the Berry College men's basketball team earned an 85-79 victory over the Huntingdon College Hawks to open the 2018-19 season. It was head coach Mitch Cole's first victory on the bench for the Vikings.
Berry was led by Caleb Haynes who posted the season's first double-double, scoring 15 points and 11 rebounds including three on the offensive glass. Elijah Hirsh led all Vikings scorers with 17 points on 7-of-8 shooting. As a team, Berry shot 50% from the floor, 36.4% from three and 80.6% from the charity stripe.
The Vikings dug themselves a hole early, trailing 21-6 with just over 10 minutes to play in the opening half. BC battled back to within two, trailing 36-34 at halftime. The first lead of the game wouldn't come until just over five minutes to play as Cory Johnson hit a three-pointer to go up 66-63. Crucial free throw shooting late in the game sealed the win.
- Elijah Hirsh: 17 PTS, 7-for-8 FG, 1-for-2 3FG, 5 REB, 2 AST, BLK
- Caleb Haynes: 15 PTS, 5-for-8 FG, 5-for-6 FT, 11 REB, 3 BLK
- Myles Moore: 13 PTS, 11-for-12 FT, 2 REB, 2 STL, 2 AST
- Cory Johnson: 15 PTS, 3-for-8 FG, 2-for-7 3 FG, 5 AST
- This was head coach Mitch Cole's first win as head coach of the Vikings
- Berry's 50% field goal percentage was the best the Vikings have shot to open the season since 2015.
- Berry will travel to Sewanee this weekend to face Brevard on Friday and Johnson University on Saturday.