By Genesis Leggett, Digital Content Supervisor
LAGRANGE, Ga. — The Berry College men's basketball team rounded up play in the Wingate Classic Sunday night, improving to 5-1 on the year after defeating Penn State Altoona 69-50.
The Panthers got an early 5 point lead on the Vikings, but were unable to hold as the Vikings outscored the Panthers 45-24 in the first half. A dunk by Elijah Hirsh and an impressive offensive run was all the Vikings needed to continue their lead going into the second half. The Panthers gave the Vikings a tougher second half outscoring Berry 26-24, but it was not enough to take the win.
Dawson Wehunt led Berry with 15 points and was 5-for-8 on three pointers, with Ethan Haslam behind him with 11 points, 9 of which were from three. Berry was also aggressive on the boards snatching 47 rebounds throughout the game. Caleb Haynes led the Vikings with 9 rebounds with Elijah Hirsh trailing right behind him with 8.
As a team, Berry shot 39.4% from the field and 75% from the free throw line. The Vikings were also able to capitalize off of second chance points scoring 17 to the Panthers 3.
- Dawson Wehunt: 15 PTS, 5-for-8 3FG, 3 REB
- Ethan Haslam: 11 PTS, 4-for-12 FG, 3-for-9 3FG, 2-for-2 FT, 7 REB, 2 STL
- Quinn Atkinson: 10 PTS, 4-for-9 FG, 2-for-3 FT, 3 REB, STL
- Caleb Haynes: 10 PTS, 5-for-7 FG, 9 REB, 2 STL
- Elijah Hirsh: 8 PTS, 3-for-12 FG, 2-for-3 FT, 8 REB, 2 AST
- The Vikings will host Ferrum College on Saturday December 1st at 2 P.M.