By MacKenzie Tuttle, Digital Content Supervisor
MOUNT BERRY, Ga. – Caleb Johnson broke Berry's DIII era single-game scoring record, posting 34 points as the men's basketball team defeated Rhodes College 92-80 in an SAA matchup on Friday night.
The Vikings led 53-46 at the half, outscoring the Lynx 39-34 in the final 20 minutes of play to ensure the victory. Johnson's 34 points led both offenses, as he shot 14-for-18 from the field to secure a career high. Four other Vikings added double-digit points in the win as well: Elijah Hirsh, Nick Marder, Cory Johnson and Miles Moore. Both Caleb Johnson and Hirsh finished the night with double doubles, with each adding 10 and 13 rebounds, respectively.
With the win, Berry improves to 7-14 overall and 2-8 in the Southern Athletic Association. Rhodes falls to 9-12 and 3-7, shooting 42.3-percent (30-for-71) to Berry's 54.3-percent (38-for-70) on the night. The Vikings also finished the contest ahead in rebounds (48-32) and steals (10-8) as well, while the Lynx led the game in assists (20-12).
- Caleb Johnson: 34 PTS, 14-for-18 FG, 6-for-11 FT, 10 REB
- Elijah Hirsh: 20 PTS, 8-for-16 FG, 4-for-4 FT, 13 REB
- Nick Marder: 14 PTS, 5-for-8 FG, 4-for-6 FT, 2 BLK
- Cory Johnson: 12 PTS, 6-for-6 FG
- Myles Moore: 10 PTS, 4-for-12 FG, 2-for-2 FT
- Owen Galvin: 17 PTS, 6-for-12 FG, 1-for-4 3PT, 4-for-7 FT, 4 REB
- Anesu Nyawata: 12 PTS, 4-for-6 FG, 2-for-4 3PT, 2-for-2 FT
- Bryce Berry: 9 PTS, 3-for-6 FG, 3-for-6 3PT
- Berry held Rhodes to the second fewest points the Lynx have scored all year. Rhodes came into the night averaging well over 100 points per game.
- Caleb Johnson now has the single-game scoring record, and the career scoring record since Berry joined NCAA Division III.
The Vikings will host Hendrix in their next game on Sunday at 2:00 p.m.