By MacKenzie Tuttle, Digital Content Supervisor
MOUNT BERRY, Ga. – Obie Brannon kicked a 43-yard field goal in overtime, as the Berry College football team defeated the Majors of Millsaps College, 22-19, on Saturday afternoon.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Brannon opened the scoring with a 35-yard field goal with five minutes left in the first quarter, putting the Vikings ahead, 3-0.
- Berry’s Mamadou Soumahoro then ran a fumble recovery back for a 25-yard touchdown. Brannon’s PAT moved the score to, 10-0.
- Millsaps’ Rashad Sims then answered with a 95-yard kickoff return for a touchdown to push the score to, 10-7.
- A 33-yard field goal from Patrick McRaney evened the score at 10 apiece going into halftime.
- Following a third quarter 32-yard Majors’ field goal, Millsaps led, 13-10, entering the final 15:00 minutes of play.
- Less than five minutes into the fourth, Slade Dale connected with Methus Weldon for the first passing touchdown of the day, moving the score to 17-13.
- Ty Proctor then found Beau Wells in the end zone to give Millsaps the, 19-17, lead with 2:47 remaining in the game.
- Mamadou Soumahoro blocked the PAT and Jordan Arnett returned the ball 98 yards for two points to tie the game and send it to overtime late in the fourth.
- The Vikings’ blocked the Majors’ field goal attempt in OT and then finished the game with a 43-yard field goal from Brannon to clinch their fourth home win of the year.
BERRY STATISTICAL STANDOUTS:
- Dale: 296 total yards, TD
- Trey Ciresi: 4 rec, 121 yards
- Brannon: 2/2 FG, LG 43, 2/2 XP
- Matt Farinella: 5 tackles, 1 tackle for loss
- Soumahoro: 4.5 tackles, 1 sack, 1 tackle for loss, TD
MILLSAPS STATISTICAL STANDOUTS:
- Taz Watson: 15 rec, 45 yards
- Proctor: 16-33, 137 yards, 1 TD
- Hector Sandoval: 12 tackles, 1 sack, 1 tackle for loss
- Jared Bullock: 9 tackles, 1 FF
- The Vikings improve to 7-1 overall and 5-1 in the Southern Athletic Association.
- Millsaps falls to 2-6 and 1-4.
- Berry added 335 total offensive yards to Millsaps’ 199.
- The Vikings rushed for 154 yards and passed for 181 yards.
Berry will host Birmingham-Southern College for senior day next Saturday, Nov. 5 at 3:00pm.