By: Bryce Koon, Sports Information Assistant
ROME, Ga. — The Vikings offense continued to stay hot on Wednesday afternoon, as the Berry College baseball team defeated the Maryville Scots 14-6. The win improved the Vikings record to 3-2 on the season.
Dylan Beasley earned the win (1-0) throwing 5 innings only allowing 3 hits and striking out 2.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Scots struck first on a Peyton Sawyer sacrifice fly to take a 1-0 lead in the first inning
- The Vikings tallied five runs in the bottom of the first highlighted by a two-RBI triple from Zach Huie
- The Scots cut the deficit with two RBI singles in the third, to trail 5-3
- The Vikings exploded in the fourth with four runs highlighted with RBI singles from Spence Johns, Casey Whitaker, and Devin Post. Zach Huie also had a sacrifice fly.
- The Vikings added a run in the fifth on a RBI single from Devin Post to give the Vikings a 10-3 lead
- Berry extended their lead to 11-3 with a fielder’s choice RBI from Dalton Smith
- Maryville tacked on three runs to cut the lead to 11-6 in the seventh
- The Vikings got two runs back in the home half of the inning on a passed ball and a RBI groundout from Devin Post
- In the eighth, the Spence Johns had an RBI single giving the Vikings a 14-6 lead
- Spence Johns: 3-for-5, 3 R, 2 RBI
- Casey Whitaker: 2-for-5, 3 R, 2 RBI
- Zach Huie: 2-for-5, 2 R, 2 RBI
- Devin Post: 2-for-4, 4 RBI
- Dylan Beasley: 5.0 IP, 2 ER, 2 SO
Berry will host Belhaven on Friday at 3:00 p.m. to open a three-game series