By: Bryce Koon, Sports Information Assistant
ROME, Ga. — A program-record five triples in game one of today's Berry baseball doubleheader set the stage for the Vikings' first Southern Athletic Association (SAA) series sweep of the year over the Sewanee Tigers.
Berry now sits at 11-5 overall and 4-2 SAA play taking game one 13-8 before a 9-5 victory in game two. The Vikings now hold a four-game winning streak. Berry already has 17 triples on the year which sets the program's NCAA DIII era single-season record.
- The Vikings offense wasted no time in the opening frame, plating 10 runs on seven hit, including RBI triples from Spence Johns and Dylan Beasley.
- Johns kicked the scoring off again in the third, singling home Beasley to make it 11-0.
- After the Tigers scored five in the fifth, Berry added two runs in the bottom of the sixth courtesy of sacrifice fly from Evan Romeo and an RBI single from Walch to give the Vikings a 13-5 lead.
- The Tigers plated three in the ninth on a three-run home run by Jack Ahlum. Berry held on to secure the 13-8 win.
- The Vikings again struck first, scoring one in the opening frame off the bat of Casey Whitaker.
- Sewanee took the lead in the second inning, scoring three to take a 3-1 advantage.
- Berry answered with four in the bottom of the second off singles from Dalton Smith and Dylan Beasley and a wild pitch. BC led 5-3.
- Sewanee cut the lead to 5-4 in the third inning with a solo home run from Trey Akins.
- The Vikings added insurance in the bottom of the third, plating four runs to make it a 9-4 lead.
- Sewanee scored one more in the fourth, but were shut down the rest of the way giving Berry the 9-5 win and series sweep.
- Dylan Beasley: 4-for-6, 2 3B, 6 RBI, 3 R, W (2-0), 6.0 IP, 4 K
- Zack Walch: 4-for-7, 2B, RBI, 4 R
- Spence Johns: 5-for-9, 3B, 4 RBI, R
- Milan Sutaria: W (1-0), 3.1 IP, 1 H, 1 R
The Vikings travel to Maryville Tuesday, for a matchup with the Scots starting at 4:00 pm.