By: Bryce Koon, Sports Information Assistant
ROME, Ga. — The Berry Vikings baseball team defeated the Sewanee Tigers 12-2 in a run-rule victory to even the team's conference record at 2-2. Overall, the Vikings improved to 9-5.
Junior RHP Ben Coker (1-0) dominated on the mound, throwing a complete game for his first win on the season. Coker only allowed two runs on five hits and struck out four. He has a no-hitter working through 4.1 innings.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Viking started quickly in the bottom of the first as Spence Johns brought home Dylan Beasley for the first run of game on an RBI double. Berry would plate four more to take a 5-0 lead after the opening frame.
- Berry added to the lead when Whitaker tripled and brought home Zack Walch to take a 6-0 lead in the second inning.
- In the third inning, Quinn Smith scored on a balk by the Tigers to stretch the lead to 7-0.
- The Vikings added two more runs in the fourth inning courtesy of an RBI triple from Johns and an RBI single from Whitaker.
- Sewanee broke up the shutout in the fifth inning off a Roberts RBI double to left center. Berry led 9-2.
- Newman continued his hot hitting with an RBI double in the seventh scoring Post.
- Newman came around to score on an RBI groundout from Walch, making it 11-2 Berry
- The Vikings would get the final run to secure the mercy rule and victory on a sacrifice fly off the bat of Casey Whitaker
- Derrick Newman: 4-for-4, 2 2B, 2 RBI, R
- Casey Whitaker: 3-for-4, 3B, 3 RBI, R
- Devin Post: 3-for-4, RBI, 2 R
- Spence Johns: 2-for-4, 2B, 2 RBI, 2 R
- Dylan Beasley: 2-for-4, 2 R
- Dalton Smith: 2-for-4, R
- Ben Coker: W (1-0), 7.0 IP, 5 H, 2 ER, 4 K
The Vikings host Sewanee tomorrow afternoon for a doubleheader to finish off the three-game series. First pitch is scheduled for 12:00 pm.