ROME, Ga. — The Berry college baseball team fell to Centre College in the series opener 14-7. The Vikings record dropped to 25-13 overall and 11-8 in conference play.
Ben Coker earned the start, tossing 5.0 innings allowing seven earned runs.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Colonels struck first in the second inning to take a 1-0 lead
- The Vikings took the lead in the bottom of the second inning with a RBI groundout from Quinn Smith and a RBI triple from Reeve Holley
- Centre regained the lead in the third scoring two runs to make it 3-2.
- In the third inning, Spence Johns reached on a fielder’s choice scoring Dylan Beasley to tie the game at three
- The inning continued with a RBI single from Smith, Johns scored to give Berry the 4-3 lead
- Zach Huie capped off the third inning with a two-run homer to extend Berry’s lead 6-3
- The Vikings added another in the fourth with another RBI groundout off the bat of Johns
- Centre would score the remaining runs, scoring one in the fifth inning, five in the sixth, two in the seventh and one more in the eighth to secure the 14-7 victory
- Zach Huie: 3-for-5, HR, 2 RBI, 2 R
- Quinn Smith: 3-for-5, 2 RBI, R
- Zack Walch: 3-for-4
The Vikings host senior day tomorrow at 1:00 p.m.