By: Joshua Mabry, Sports Information Assistant
ROME, Ga. – The Berry College baseball team defeated the Covenant College Scots 9-8 on Tuesday off of a walk-off walk in an out-of-conference game to earn the 20th win of the season for the Vikings.
J.T. Eggert won the game in relief improving his record to 2-2 on the season. He pitched 3.0 innings, giving up one hit and striking out six. Whitaker drew the bases loaded walk to win it for Berry.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Covenant struck first in the top of the first, plating four runs
- Berry scored in the home half of the second. Quinn Smith singled, driving in Casey Whitaker to score the inning’s first run. Zach Huie then scored off of a bases loaded hit by pitch. Quinn Smith scored off of a fielder’s choice from Zack Walch.
- Covenant scored again in the top of the third. John Mitchell grounded out, scoring CJ Edmond.
- The Vikings plated another run in the bottom of the third. Casey Whitaker scored off of a ground out from Zach Huie.
- The Scots scored two more runs in the top of the fourth. Alex Gonzalez doubled, driving in Tyler Moore and Brett Kernodle. This oushed the score to 7-4 in favor of the Scots.
- Berry scored another run in the home half of the fourth after Zack Walch scored off of a Spence Johns single.
- Covenant plated a run in the top of the fifth. Brooks DuBose grounded out, scoring John Mitchell.
- Dalton Smith scored on a wild pitch in the bottom of the fifth to score another run for the Vikings.
- Berry plated two more runs in the bottom of the eighth, tying the game. Dylan Beasley singled driving in Zack Walch to score the inning’s first run. Beasley then scored on a sacrifice fly.
- The Vikings won the game in the bottom of the ninth on a walk-off bases loaded walk. Casey Whitaker walked, scoring Dalton Smith.
- Zack Walch: 2-for-3, 2 R, RBI
- Casey Whitaker: 2-for-4, 2 R, RBI
- Milan Sutaria: 1.2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 3 BB, 2 K
- J.T. Eggert (W): 3.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 6 K
Berry will host Millsaps for a weekend full of Southern Athletic Association (SAA) conference play beginning Saturday. Saturday’s game will be a doubleheader that starts at 1 p.m. Sunday’s game will start at noon.