ROME, Ga. — Dylan Beasley hit a go-ahead RBI single in the bottom of the eighth inning, as the Berry College baseball team claimed the series opener with the Belhaven Blazers 6-5.
Luke Crawford earned the win in relief, tossing 3.0 innings allowing just one run and striking out three. William Gibbons earned his first save of the year, putting the Blazers down in order in the top of the ninth to secure the victory. The Vikings are now 4-2 on the year and have won three straight.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Casey Whitaker hit an RBI single in the first to score Zach Walch and give Berry a 1-0 lead.
- The Blazers put together a big inning in the fourth, scoring three runs off the bats of Rogers and D'Anna. Belhaven led 3-1.
- The Vikings got one back in the home half of the fourth inning off an RBI single by Zack Walch.
- Benson hit an RBI single for Belhaven in the fifth, scoring Milam to extend the lead to 4-2.
- Whitaker led the way in a two-run fifth inning. He hit a triple to score Spence Johns and then scored on a Quinn Smith sacrifice fly to tie the game.
- Belhaven went up again in the sixth off an RBI single from Calhoun.
- Whitaker tripled again in the seventh and scored on a deja vu sacrifice fly from Quinn Smith to tie the game at 5-5.
- Beasley then scored Weston Bray in the eighth inning on a single to left center.
- Gibbons retired the Blazers in order in the ninth to secure the win.
- Zack Walch: 2-for-2, RBI, R
- Spence Johns: 2-for-4, R
- Casey Whitaker: 3-for-4, 2 RBI, 2 R
- Devin Post: 2-for-4, R
- Luke Crawford: W (1-0), 3.0 IP, 1 R, 3 K
- William Gibbons: SV (1), 1.0 IP, 1 K
The series with Belhaven continues with a doubleheader tomorrow starting at 1:00 p.m.