MARYVILLE, Tenn. — Zach Huie hit the team’s first home run of the season as the Berry College baseball team rolled to a 12-7 victory over Maryville University on Tuesday night for their fifth straight win.
Garrett West earned the win on the mound for the Vikings, tossing 5.1 innings and allowing three earned runs while striking out four. Spence Johns earned his second save of the year, throwing the final three innings and giving up no runs on two hits.
Berry improves to 12-5 on the year.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Zach Huie put the Vikings on the board first with a three-run blast in the opening frame.
- A Devin Post double brought home another run in the first inning make it 4-0 in favor of Berry.
- After a Joey Tomlinson home run for Maryville in the third, RBI hits from Post, Quinn Smith, and Casey Whitaker stretched out the Vikings lead to 9-1 in the sixth inning.
- The Scots would roar back with a two-run sixth and a four-run seventh to cut the lead to 9-7.
- However, the Vikings offense responded by plating three runs in the final two frames—first when Zach Walch reached home on an error in the eighth, then Weston Bray knocked in a run before being brought home on a fielder’s choice in the ninth to set the final score at 12-7.
- Zach Walch: 2-for-4, 3 SB, 2 R
- Zach Huie: 2-for-4, HR, 3 RBI
- Devin Post: 2-for-3, 2 RBI, 2B
- Quinn Smith: 1-for-2, 2 RBI, R
- Spence Johns: SV (2), 3.0 IP, 2 H, 0 ER
Berry returns home to face Adrian College this Friday at 3:00 p.m.