By: Joshua Mabry, Sports Information Assistant
CONWAY, Ark. – The Berry College baseball team defeated the Hendrix College Warriors 6-3 Sunday afternoon at Hendrix, earning their first conference win and moving to 8-5 on the season.
Berry had strong pitching throughout the game. Dylan Beasley got the start, giving up two runs and striking out five in 6.0 innings of work. Spence Johns got the win, pitching 3.0 innings and giving up just one run while striking out two.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Hendrix scored first, plating two runs in the bottom of the 3rd. Seth Tucker and Rail Gilliam scored off of a single to centerfield by Jorge Leon.
- After Hendrix’s initial two runs, the bats stayed quiet until the top of the 8th when Berry’s bats came alive and the Vikings scored two runs. Spence Johns singled, driving in Zack Walch to score the first run of the inning. Dylan Beasley scored off of a sacrifice fly, earning the second run for the Vikings.
- The Vikings continued to score in the 9th, plating four more runs. Dylan Beasley singled to score Dalton Smith for the inning’s first run. Spence Johns singled up the middle to score Beasley. After this, Quinn Smith singled up the middle, scoring Johns and earning the inning’s third run. Finally, Devin Post singled scoring Casey Whitaker, scoring Vikings’ final run of the inning and game.
- Hendrix scored one run in the bottom of the 9th inning to conclude the game. Sean Dehne reached on a fielder’s choice, scoring Juan Pable Leon.
- Spence Johns: 3-for-4, R, 2 RBI
- Devin Post: 3-for-4, 2 RBI
- Trevor Proctor: 2-for-4
- Dylan Beasley: 6.0 IP, 6 H, 2 R, 1 BB, 5 K
- Spence Johns (W): 3.0 IP, 3 H, 1 R, 1 BB, 2 K
Berry returns home to face Sewanee in a three-game series next weekend to continue Southern Athletic Association (SAA) play. The Vikings will play a doubleheader Saturday starting at 1:00 p.m. Sunday’s game will be at noon to conclude the series.