LOOKOUT MOUNTAIN, Ga. — Hunter Cole hit his first career home run on Tuesday night, lifting the Berry College baseball team to an 8-6 victory over Covenant College. Berry improves to 25-12 overall.
Tanner Still earned the start on the mound, tossing 5.1 innings allowing a pair of earned runs. William Gibbons took the win in relief, while Dylan Schoknecht collected his first save of the season.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Vikings jumped out to 2-0 lead in the third inning. Dylan Beasley hit an RBI ground out before a Spence Johns RBI single to right center.
- The Scots got one back in the home half of the inning off a John Mitchell sacrifice fly.
- Cole's homer came in the fourth inning as a three-run shot to right field. Berry led 5-1.
- Covenant began chipping away, eventually tying the game in the seventh inning.
- Zack Walch then doubled down the left field line scoring a pair. Johns also doubled to left field in the same inning, scoring Walch to give the Vikings an 8-5 advantage.
- The Scots' rally fell short in the ninth. Covenant's Mitchell hit a solo home run, but Schocknecht held the game at 8-6.
- Spence Johns: 3-for-3, 2 RBIs
- Casey Whitaker: 2-for-5
- Devin Post: 2-for-5, 2 R
- Weston Bray: 2-for-3, 2 R
- Hunter Cole: 1-for-2, 3 RBIs, 2 R, HR
Berry hosts Centre this weekend to close the regular season.