By MacKenzie Tuttle, Digital Content Supervisor
ROME, Ga. – The Berry College baseball team combined for 23 hits on the day, but the Vikings fell to Piedmont College twice on Tuesday night. Piedmont took the first game, resuming in the fifth inning after being postponed last month, 4-3. The Lions then rounded out the night with a 20-12 victory in game two.
With the loss, Berry falls to 20-10 overall on the year, while Piedmont improves to 19-10 on the season.
GAME ONE RECAP:
- The Vikings resumed play in the fifth inning down 3-1, following the postponed first half of the game after fog rolled in at Piedmont in March.
- Berry opened up scoring on the afternoon, as Tyler Calvert added an RBI sacrifice fly to centerfield to bring home Jacob Delk and cut the lead to 3-2 in the top of the sixth inning.
- Piedmont responded, adding to their lead in the bottom of that same inning, as Caleb Norton reached on an error to bring home Cameron Johnson and expand the lead to 4-2.
- Berry would add an additional run in the top of the eighth inning, working to mount a comeback as Dylan Beasley singled through the left side of the infield to bring home Delk and cut the lead to 3-4.
- The Vikings' 10 hit outing would fall short though, as Piedmont took the 4-3 victory.
- Spence Johns led all batters at the plate in the contest, finishing the game 3-for-5. Delk and Beasley each added two hits in the loss for Berry.
- J. T. Eggert (3-1) took the loss on the mound for the Vikings, tossing four innings, while allowing four hits and three runs, striking out seven Lions.
GAME TWO RECAP:
- The contest saw three lead changes, but the Vikings were the first ones to cross the plate in the nightcap, scoring six runs on five back-to-back two out singles in the bottom of the second inning to take an early 6-0 lead.
- Piedmont answered, plating seven runs of their own in the top of the third to take a 7-6 lead.
- The Lions would then tack on an additional two runs in the top of the fourth to expand their lead to 9-6, before Berry drove home three additional runs in the bottom of the same inning to tie the game at 9-9.
- The teams then traded homers in the sixth to push the game to 10-10.
- A seven run seventh inning for the Lions opened up scoring again, as Piedmont regained the final lead of the contest.
- The Lions would then tack on two additional runs in the top of the eighth inning, as well as an additional run in the top of the ninth inning, to ensure the 20-12 victory.
- Delk and Johns each remained hot at the plate for Berry in the outing, finishing the night 3-for-5. Johns scored twice as well and added an RBI in the win, and Delk finished the night with four additional RBIs. Tyler Hathaway, Evan Romeo and Devin Post each added two hits and an RBI in the win as well, leading Berry's offense.
- Piedmont's Norton led all hitters in the second contest, finishing 5-for-5 at the plate and just a double shy of the cycle. He also added two homers and six RBIs, scoring three times in the matchup for the Lions.
- The Vikings threw eight pitchers in the contest, with Milan Sutaria (0-1) taking the loss on the mound for Berry. Sutaria allowed two hits and three runs.
BERRY STATISTICAL STANDOUTS:
- Spence Johns: 6-for-10, 2 R, RBI
- Jacob Delk: 3-for-9, 2 R, 4 RBIs
- Dylan Beasley: 2-for-7, RBI, R
- Devin Post: 3-for-7, 3 R, BB, RBI
- Evan Romeo: 2-for-3, R, RBI
PIEDMONT STATISTICAL STANDOUTS:
- Caleb Norton: 6-for-8, 4 R, 7 RBIs, 2 HR, 3B
- Tyler Burdette: 4-for-9, 3 R, 2 RBIs, HR
- Justin Groover: 4-for-9, 3 R, RBI, 2 2B
- Jabin Smith: 2-for-8, 2 R
Berry will host Rhodes in a Southern Athletic Association doubleheader matchup beginning on Saturday, April 7 at 1:00 p.m.