By MacKenzie Tuttle, Digital Content Supervisor
ROME, Ga. - The Berry College baseball team defeated Birmingham-Southern College 7-2 and 6-2 on Friday night, as the Vikings improved to 11-4 overall on the year as well as 3-2 in the Southern Athletic Association (SAA).
On the day, the Vikings combined for 21 hits overall, while the Panthers finished the day with just eight. BSC also added four errors to Berry's one in the doubleheader.
GAME ONE RECAP:
- BSC jumped out to an early lead in game one, scoring two runs in the top of the fourth inning, to move ahead 2-0.
- Devin Post and Jacob Delk then each added an RBI single in the bottom of both the fourth and fifth innings, tying the game at 2-2.
- The Vikings then five runs in the bottom of the seventh inning, ensuring the 7-2 victory.
- Ben Coker (4-1) earned the win on the mound for Berry, tossing all nine innings, while allowing five hits and just two runs, striking out eight batters.
GAME TWO RECAP:
- The Vikings then scored in four of their six at-bats in the nightcap, earning the 6-2 win.
- Devin Post, Jacob Delk, Tyler Calvert and Zack Walch each added RBIs in the victory, as the Vikings earned the doubleheader sweep.
- Trey Rampy (3-1) earned the win on the mound for Berry, tossing six innings, while allowing three hits and two runs.
- Spence Johns: 3-for-7, 3 R
- Casey Whitaker: 3-for-6, R, RBI
- Jacob Delk: 5-for-7, 2 R, 3 RBIs
- Ben Coker: W (4-1), 9.0 IP, 5 H, 2 R, 8 K
- Trey Rampy: W (3-1), 6.0 IP, 3 H, 2 R, 8 K
- Tyler Wise: 3-for-7, RBI
- Brian Williams: 1-for-6, 2 R
- Preston Munns: 1-for-7, RBI
Berry will host BSC in game three of he series tomorrow at 9:30 a.m.