ROME, Ga. — The No. 24 Berry College volleyball team earned their first Southern Athletic Association (SAA) win of the season today with a straight-set victory over Oglethorpe University, improving to 5-2 overall.
The Vikings dominated from the jump, hitting .333 in the opening set and holding the Stormy Petrels to just a -.154 hitting percentage in set one. Berry was also strong at the net, earning five blocks.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- With a 17-12 lead in the opening set, Cyrena Bedoian went back to serve, leading Berry to an seven-point run. In that span, she notched a service ace and three assists to seal the opening set 25-12.
- In set two, Cyrena Bedoian once again helped Berry to a four-point run, extending their lead to 8-2. The Vikings led by as much as 12, hitting .282 and holding Oglethorpe to a -.100 hitting percentage.
- Berry's most efficient attacking set came in the final frame, hitting .417 as a team.
- Berry led 15-11 in the third set, until once again Cyrena Bedoin led Berry to a 7-0 run. Securing a 25-13 set victory.
- Christina Goforth: 9 K, .450 K%, 3 SA, 4 D, BLK
- Emily Hancock: 8 K, .500 K%, 2 AST, 16 D
- Laura Beier: 10 D, 3 AST
- Emily Rapach: 4 K, .400 K%, 18 AST, 3 D
- Berry's seven service aces tied the third most of the season.
- The Vikings have not lost at home since Oct. 15, 2016.
- Berry will continue SAA competition this Friday as they travel to Sewanee. Game time is set for 7:00 p.m.