By MacKenzie Tuttle, Digital Content Supervisor
MOUNT BERRY, Ga. – Blanking the Birmingham-Southern College Panthers 3-0 on Sunday, the Berry College volleyball team secured their first Southern Athletic Association (SAA) Conference Tournament Title since 2013.
Set scores were 25-23, 25-19 and 25-15, as the Vikings held off the Panthers with a standout victory in front of a home crowd of over 700. Berry started off strong, hitting .463 as a team in the first set to secure the 25-23 win. The Vikings then added 27 kills in the final two sets combined, ensuring the SAA title.
Berry led the contest in kills (48-39), assists (44-37) and blocks (11-4), while both teams finished with 48 digs. Four of Berry's players finished the game with 10 digs: Hannah Kate Thompson, Elizabeth Ragland, Christina Goforth and Emily Hancock, and four Vikings also added at least eight kills in the contest: Micayla Bedoian, Hancock, Carson VanCampen and Hannah Billiard, propelling Berry to their 28th victory of the season.
- VanCampen: 13 K, .524 K%, D
- Billiard: 10 K, .667 K%, D
- Thompson: 38 A, 2 K, 10 D
- Hancock: 9 K, 10 D
- Emmy Kilgore: 10 K, .348 K%, 9 D
- Rebecca Erwin: 9 K, .333 K%
- Julia Denby: 9 K, D
- Rachel Lee: 35 A
- With the loss, Birmingham-Southern falls to 20-8 on the year.
- Berry improves to 28-6 overall, winning each of their last four matches.
- Hannah Kate Thompson was named the tournament MVP to join Hannah Billiard and Micayla Bedoian on the All-Tournament team.
- The Vikings will await the selection show tomorrow to reveal who they play in the first round of the NCAA Regional Tournament beginning this weekend.