By MacKenzie Tuttle, Digital Content Supervisor
MOUNT BERRY, Ga. - Kelsey McAnnally scored four times, as the Berry College women's lacrosse team advanced to the Southern Athletic Association (SAA) Finals for the first time in program history with a 10-8 victory over Sewanee on Sunday.
With a first half blanketed in heavy rain, the Vikings midfielders limited Sewanee's offensive looks, only allowing them to convert 7-16 clears in the opening period despite the Tigers winning 10-4 draw controls. Berry also took advantage of 16 first-half giveaways to tally seven goals. The Tigers' quick passing attack resulted in six scores, but Berry entered the locker room at the half with a narrow 7-6 advantage.
The sun finally cracked the clouds for the first time in nearly 24 hours at Valhalla Stadium as the Vikings emerged from the locker room in dry jerseys, looking to close out the second half. In a strong defensive showing from both teams, Berry was able to tally three to seal the win holding the Tigers to just seven second-half shots.
- The Vikings led the game in ground balls (33-21), while the Tigers led in draw controls (13-7).
- Sewanee had 30 turnovers in the contest while Berry gave the ball away 23 times.
- Crawford Horan faced 24 shots on cage and recorded 14 saves. Berry's Ella Makin faced 16 shots and had eight saves.
- Berry's midfield only allowed Sewanee to convert 16-30 clears. The Vikings were 19-25 on clear attempts.
BERRY STATISTICAL STANDOUTS:
- McAnnally: 4 G, A, 10 SH, 9 SOG, 5 GB, DC, CT
- Keiley Ayers: 2 G, A, 6 SH, 6 SOG, 4 GB, 2 DC, 2 CT
- Savannah McKenzie: G, 4 SH, SOG, 3 GB, 2 CT
- Claire Voltarel: G, A, SH, SOG, GB, 2 DC, 2 CT
- Angelica Miller: G, 2 SH, 2 SOG, GB, CT
- Olivia Lobst: G, 2 SH, 2 SOG, 3 GB, 2 CT
- Ella Makin: 8 SV, 8 GA, 5 GB
SEWANEE STATISTICAL STANDOUTS:
- Mary Kate Myers: 2 G, 4 SH, 2 SOG, 2 GB
- Catherine Crigler: G, 4 SH, 3 SOG, 3 DC
- Preston Cooper: G, 2 A, 3 SH, 2 SOG, DC
- Brooke Winfield: G, 3 SH, 3 SOG, 3 GB, 4 CT
- Anna Comer: G, SH, SOG, 2 GB, DC
- Grace Zechman: G, 3 A, 2 SH, SOG
- Alden Woolford: G, SH, SOG
- Crawford Horan: 14 SV, 10 GA
- With the win, Berry improves to 9-8 on the year and advances to their first SAA title game in program history.
- Sewanee finishes the year 14-5 overall.
- The win was the Vikings' second victory over the Tigers this season, they had previously never beaten Sewanee before this year.
Berry will travel to Memphis, Tenn., on Sunday, April 30 to take on the Lynx of Rhodes College in the SAA title game.