MOUNT BERRY, Ga. - Capped by McAnnally's goal with just under four minutes to play, the Berry women's lacrosse team was able to collect their fourth conference win on the year over the Birmingham-Southern Panthers with an 11-10 final on Senior Day.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Berry offense scored twice in the first 1:10 of play off a goal from Keiley Ayers and McAnnally to open play.
- BSC responded with a pair of their own to tie it up with 23:30 left in the first half.
- After trading a pair, Ashley Merritt tallied twice to give Berry a 5-3 advantage with under 10 left to play in the first half.
- Berry eventually entered the half holding a 6-5 lead.
- The Panthers and Vikings each tallied once coming out of the half, but Birmingham-Southern then rattled off three goals to take a 9-7 lead with just over 20 to play.
- Claire Voltarel picked up her second of the night to bring Berry within one at 16:59.
- The Panthers would score their final goal of the evening from Katie Gleeson with just under 10 to play. BSC held a 10-8 advantage.
- The Vikings then rallied to score three in the final nine minutes. Ashley Merritt scored the first, then seniors Angelica Miller and Kelsey McAnnally scored the final two to give the Vikings the 11-10 victory.
BERRY STATISTICAL STANDOUTS:
- Keiley Ayers: 3 G, 1 AST, 7 SH, 3 GB, 3 DC
- Ashley Merritt: 3 G, GB
- Kelsey McAnnally: 2 G, AST, 11 SH, 4 GB, 3 DC
- Claire Voltarel: 2 G, 6 SH, 2 GB, 2 DC
- Angelica Miller: G, 2 SH, GB, DC
BSC STATISTICAL STANDOUTS:
- Natalie Daniel: 3 G, AST, 9 SH
- Jade Cox: 3 G, 7 SH, 4 DC
- Katie Gleeson: 3 G, 2 AST, 5 GB
- Ashley Shepherd: G, 5 SH, 3 DC
- The Vikings are now 6-8 overall and 4-2 in SAA play. Berry's four conference victories this year is the most since the 2014 season.
- The win clinches the Vikings a top four seed in the SAA tournament and at least a quarterfinal game at home.
- Berry will face out-of-conference LaGrange on Tuesday away before heading to Atlanta for their final SAA regular-season game of the year against Oglethorpe.