By MacKenzie Tuttle, Digital Content Supervisor
ATLANTA – Alex Weems and Nia Smith each scored double-digit points in the outing, but the Berry College women’s basketball team fell to Oglethorpe University 73-47 on Wednesday night to open up Southern Athletic Association play.
Weems and Smith scored 13 and 11 points, respectively, to lead the Vikings’ offense in the contest. As a team though, Berry shot 24.5-percent (12-of-49) to the Stormy Petrels’ 41-percent (25-of-61). Both teams shot under 30% from beyond the arc as well, with Eveline Parsons sinking Berry’s two three-pointers of the game. However, Berry continued their impressive free throw shooting, sinking 21-of-34 of their free throws on the night. Defensively, the Vikings were led by Capri Frazier’s seven rebound effort, with Smith and Parsons contributing five and four boards on the night, respectively.
- Alex Weems: 13 PTS, 4-for-9 FG, 5-8 FT, 3 R
- Nia Smith: 11 PTS, 2-for-6 FG, 7-11 FT, 5 REB, AST, STL
- Eveline Parsons: 8 PTS, 2-for-5 FG, 2-for-3 3PT, 2-for-2 FT, 4 REB
- Capri Frazier: 3 PTS, 7 REB, STL
- Jada Triplett: 19 PTS, 5-for-9 FG, 8-for-8 FT, 2 REB, 3 AST
- Savannah LeGate: 19 PTS, 7-for-8 FG, 5-for-8 FT, 11 REB
- Lauren Ransom: 13 PTS, 5-for-11 FG, 3-for-4 FT, 2 REB, 2 AST
- With the loss, Berry falls to 2-4 overall on the year, as well as 0-1 in the Southern Athletic Association.
- Oglethorpe moves to 4-1 and 1-0.
- Berry will travel to Lookout Mountain, Ga., to take on the Scots of Covenant College in their next matchup on Saturday, Dec. 9 at 2:00 p.m.