ATLANTA — The No. 19 Berry College softball team fell to 6-2 on the year, dropping back-to-back pitching duels with the Emory University Eagles on Sunday afternoon.
GAME ONE HIGHLIGHTS:
- The pitchers traded blows until Emory threatened in the bottom of the third. Cassie Baca drove a single to right field, while Ashley Powers rounded third and headed home. Makenzie Flynt would then fire a laser home to catch Powers and end the inning.
- The Eagles would finally open scoring in the bottom of the fifth off a Drew Bullock double to left that drove home two.
- Emory was able to keep the Berry bats quiet for the remainder of the game, handing the Vikings their first loss of the year.
- Meredith Holland took the loss, falling to 2-1 on the year. She went 4.2 innings, allowing four hits and a pair of runs.
GAME TWO HIGHLIGHTS:
- The Eagles would score the first and last run of the game in the bottom of the first inning. Sarah Katz was caught stealing, but Sarah Flanders was able to reach home safely giving Emory the 1-0 lead.
- Despite collecting nine hits in the rest of the game, Berry never had a baserunner past second base and stranded nine.
- Kassie Howard went the full 6.0 innings, taking the tough-luck loss allowing just one hit, no earned runs and earning five strikeouts.
BERRY STATISTICAL STANDOUTS:
- Kylie Aiken: 4-for-7
- Katlin Seger: 2-for-6
- Shelby Daniel: 2-for-6
- Meredith Holland: L (2-1), 4 H, 2 R, 4 BB
- Kassie Howard: L (2-1), H, R, 5 K
EMORY STATISTICAL STANDOUTS:
- Cassie Baca: 2-for-4
- Drew Bullock: 1-for-1, 2 RBI
- Jacqueline Spizizen: 2W (3-1), 12 H, 0 R, 10 K
- Brittany Tuttle is leading the SAA with eight stolen bases on the year.
- Kassie Howard is currently leading the league with 27 strikeouts.
The Vikings host Sewanee in their first SAA action of the year this Friday and Saturday at Kay Williams Field.