MOUNT BERRY, Ga. – The Vikings move to 31-2 on the year after a doubleheader sweep against conference rivals Rhodes College on Saturday. The Berry College softball team defeated Rhodes College twice with game scores 5-0 and an extra inning 4-3 victory.
HOW IT HAPPENED (GAME 1):
- The Vikings opened scoring in game one in the bottom of the fourth off of Kenzie Fleming's sacrifice fly to left field, scoring Kylie Aiken.
- Berry then added an additional four runs in the bottom of the sixth inning, with Aiken scoring on a fielding error. Kayla Sangrey then shot a double to left scoring Meredith Wrye and Marie Collop. Elisabeth Federici then knocked in Sangrey off a single for the Vikings' final run.
- Collop tossed a three-hit shutout including 10 strikeouts for her 11th win of the season.
HOW IT HAPPENED (GAME 2):
- The Lynx opened scoring in the top of the first with Caroline Sutton scoring on a fielding error.
- The Vikings quickly answered in the bottom of the first with a Marie Collop two-run homer. Pushing the score to 2-1.
- Rhodes took charge during the top of the second with a two run inning with Haley Rath scoring on a passed ball and Caroline Sutton's sacrifice fly to center field, earning an RBI with Jill Healy scoring one more for the Lynx.
- The Vikings tied it up in the bottom of the fifth with a Kayla Sangrey sacrifice fly.
- Berry then walked off in the bottom of the ninth with Kylie Aiken just beating out a ground ball to third for the final run of the game.
BERRY STATISTICAL STANDOUTS:
- Sarah Moore: 1-for-6, 2 R, BB, 2B, SB
- Kayla Sangrey: 2-for-3, 2 R, 2 RBIs
- Kylie Aiken: 2-for-7, 3 R, 2B, BB
- Marie Collop: 3-for-6, 2 R, 3 RBIs, BB, 7.0 IP, 3 H, 10 SO (W, 11-1)
- Fleming: 2-for-5, 2 RBIs, 2 BB
- Kassie Howard: 9.0 IP, 5 H, 3 R, 5 BB, 12 K, W (13-1)
RHODES STATISTICAL STANDOUTS:
- Jill Healy: 3-for-4, 1 R, 1 SO
- Haley Rath: 0-for-2, 1 R, 2 BB, 2 SO
- Caroline Sutton: 1-for-3, 1 R, 1 RBI
- Bri Maniscalco: 6.1 IP, 6 H, 2 R, 2 BB, 2 SO, L (10-9)
- Allison Long: 6.0 IP, 5 H, 5 R, 2 BB, L (4-6)
- Today was the Vikings' senior day, with six seniors being recognized.
- The Vikings maintain their undefeated record in the conference.
- The Vikings will close the set with Rhodes tomorrow at noon.