By MacKenzie Tuttle, Digital Content Supervisor
MOUNT BERRY, Ga. – The Vikings were able to score runs late as the Berry College softball team held on to defeat Centre College 2-1 on Sunday afternoon.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Colonels opened up scoring in the first inning off a bases loaded hit by pitch to take the 1-0 lead.
- Centre remained ahead until the bottom of the fifth inning when Marie Collop doubled down the right field line to score Kylie Aiken and tie the game at one apiece.
- Berry then took the lead in the bottom of the sixth off of an error by the second baseman to score Karlie Jarrett and ensure the Vikings' victory.
- On the day, the Vikings led the game with four hits to the Colonels' two. Berry also committed no errors, while Centre had one in the outing.
BERRY STATISTICAL STANDOUTS:
- Moore: 1-for-2, BB
- Collop: 1-for-2, RBI, 2B
- Katlin Seger: 1-for-3, SB
- Brittany Tuttle: 1-for-4, SB
- Kassie Howard: 7.0 IP, 2 H, 1 ER, 4 BB, 8 K
CENTRE STATISTICAL STANDOUTS:
- Cassidy Cook: 1-for-2
- RileyAnne Sharpe: 1-for-4, R
- Elysse Petrie: 4.0 IP, 3 H, 0 ER, K
- With the win, Berry improves to a perfect 13-0 on the season, as well as 3-0 in the Southern Athletic Association.
- Centre falls to 2-5 and 0-3.
- For the Vikings, Howard earned the win on the mound, improving to 5-0 on the year.
- Centre's Erika Brewer earned the loss for the Colonels, dropping to 1-3 overall. Brewer tossed the final two innings for Centre, allowing one hit, one earned run and four walks, while striking out one batter.
The Vikings will travel to Maryville (Tenn.) for their next matchup on Wednesday, March 1. Game one of the doubleheader begins at 1:00pm.