By MacKenzie Tuttle, Digital Content Supervisor
BIRMINGHAM, Ala. – Racking up 21 hits on the day, the No. 1 Berry College softball team defeated SAA-rival Birmingham-Southern College twice on Friday night. The Vikings defeated the Panthers 7-5 and 13-2 to sweep the doubleheader.
HOW IT HAPPENED (GAME ONE):
- The Vikings jumped out to an early start in game one, scoring four runs in the first two innings combined on two Birmingham-Southern errors, as well as a single by Sarah Moore.
- The Panthers then added two runs of their own in the bottom of the third inning.
- Torrie Garner walked with the bases loaded to bring in the first Birmingham-Southern run of the game. Taylor Anderson then added a sacrifice fly to right field to cut Berry's lead to 4-2.
- Marie Collop then homered in the top of the fifth inning to extend the Vikings lead to 5-2.
- The Panthers answered, forcing back-to-back Vikings' errors to bring the game within a run.
- Berry carried a narrow 5-4 lead heading into the top of the seventh inning. Kayla Sangrey then ensured the Vikings' victory, hitting a triple to right center field to give Berry their final 7-4 lead of the game.
HOW IT HAPPENED (GAME TWO):
- Scoring at least one run in four of the five innings, the Vikings scored early and often in the second game of the day against the Panthers, clinching their 15th run-rule victory of the season.
- Moore doubled down the left field line to put the Vikings on the board in the top of the first inning.
- Two additional Berry hits, as well as a Panther error, plated four runs in the top of the second inning to push the lead to 5-0.
- A bases loaded walk in the bottom of the second inning gave Birmingham-Southern their first run of the contest, cutting the lead to 5-1.
- Brittany Ferrell and Kenzie Fleming singled in the top of the third, and Marie Collop added a bases loaded walk to push the score to 9-1. Elisabeth Federici then finished the inning with a three-run homer for Berry.
- Federici then added an RBI triple to left field to round out the Vikings' scoring in the top of the fifth inning and ensure the 13-2 victory.
BERRY STATISTICAL STANDOUTS:
- Brittany Ferrell: 2-for-8, 2 R, RBI, SB
- Brittany Tuttle: 2-for-7, 3 R, 2 SB
- Sarah Moore: 3-for-7, 2 R, 4 RBIs, BB, 3B, 2B
- Marie Collop: 1-for-5, 2 RBIs, R, 3 BB
- Kenzie Fleming: 2-for-6, R, 3 RBIs, 2 BB
- Kayla Sangrey: 3-for-6, 2 R, 2 RBIs, 2B, 3B
- Elisabeth Federici: 5-for-8, 2 R, 4 RBIs, 2B, 2 3B, HR
- Katlin Seger: 2-for-4, R, RBI
- Kylie Aiken: 1-for-4, 2 R, 2 BB
BIRMINGHAM-SOUTHERN STATISTICAL STANDOUTS:
- Alex Skene: 1-for-3, R, BB
- Taylor Anderson: 1-for-3, R, 2 BB, RBI
- Maddie Ridgway: 2-for-5, RBI, BB
- Abby Spencer: 2-for-7, BB
- Haley Crumpton: 2-for-4, R
- Kendall Hamm: 1-for-6, R, BB
- With the wins, Berry improves to 25-1 overall, as well as 8-0 in the Southern Athletic Association.
- The Panthers fall to 12-12 and 6-7.
- On the day, the Vikings committed four errors, while Birmingham-Southern added 10 errors.
- Federici was a mere single away from hitting through the cycle in game two for the Vikings.
- Both Marie Collop and Kassie Howard earned a win in the circle for the Vikings on the night.
The Vikings and the Panthers will round out the series tomorrow at 1:00pm.