By: MacKenzie Tuttle, Digital Content Supervisor
MOUNT BERRY, Ga. - The Berry College softball team improved to a perfect 16-0 in the Southern Athletic Association (SAA), besting Millsaps College twice on Friday. The Vikings held off the Majors 4-3 in game one and added a 10-3 victory in game two.
HOW IT HAPPENED (GAME ONE):
- Brittany Ferrell and Elisabeth Federici each scored once in the bottom of the first and fourth innings, respectively, to give Berry an early 2-0 lead.
- An error, a sacrifice bunt and a single in the top of the sixth gave Millsaps their first lead of the game going into the bottom of the sixth.
- Federici then homered to tie the game at three apiece before the end of that same inning.
- Sarah Moore then hit a walkoff double in the bottom of the seventh to bring home Kylie Aiken and ensure Berry's 4-3 game one victory.
HOW IT HAPPENED (GAME TWO):
- 19 hits and 10 runs catapulted the Vikings over the Majors in game two.
- Millsaps added two runs in the third, as well as one run in the fifth, but the Berry lead was too much to overcome, as the Vikings won their eighth straight game.
- Seven players added at least two hits in the contest for Berry.
- Berry scored in five of their six frames, ensuring the 10-3 victory.
BERRY STATISTICAL STANDOUTS:
- Federici: 4-for-7, RBI, HR, 2 R
- Aiken: 3-for-7, 3 R, SH, RBI
- Moore: 3-for-7, RBI, 2B, R
- Katlin Seger: 3-for-6, 3 RBIs, 2 R, 2 2B
- Brittany Ferrell: 2-for-8, 2 R, RBI, 3B
- Marie Collop: 3-for-6, R, 3 RBIs, 2B, 3B | 7.0 IP, 5 H, 3 R, 0 ER, 7 K, W (13-1)
- Kayla Sangrey: 3-for-7, R, RBI
- Kassie Howard: 6.0 IP, 6 H, 3 R, 2 ER, 10 K
MILLSAPS STATISTICAL STANDOUTS:
- Romero: 1-for-7, R
- Kayla Davidson: 2-for-5, 3 R
- Murray: 2-for-5, RBI
- Lebla: 3-for-7, 2 RBIs
- Bozeman: 2-for-5, R
- Collop earned the win on the mound for Berry in game one. She tossed all seven innings, allowing no earned runs and only five hits, while striking out seven batters.
- Kassie Howard earned the win in game two, tossing six innings. Howard allowed six hits and two earned runs, while striking out 10 batters.
- With the wins, Berry improved to 34-2 and 16-0 on the year, extending their winning streak to eight in a row.
- Berry and Millsaps will round out game three of the series tomorrow at 12:00 p.m.