By MacKenzie Tuttle, Digital Content Supervisor
MOUNT BERRY, Ga. – Combining for only four hits as a team, the Berry College softball team fell to Transylvania University 6-0 in their first shutout loss of the year in the second round of the NCAA regionals on Saturday.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Transylvania jumped out to an early lead, scoring three runs in the top of the third inning off of a pair of doubles and a Berry throwing error.
- Transylvania then added an additional two runs in the top of the sixth inning, off of a Jessica Powell home run, moving the score to 5-0.
- Transylvania plated the final run of the game in the top of the seventh inning off of a single to the pitcher, ensuring the 6-0 victory.
- On the day, Berry added only four hits, while committing two errors.
BERRY STATISTICAL STANDOUTS:
- MaKayley Cain: 1-for-1, 2B
- Brittany Ferrell: 1-for-2, 2 BB, SB
- Marie Collop: 1-for-2, BB
- Katlin Seger: 1-for-3
TRANSYLVANIA STATISTICAL STANDOUTS:
- Brittany Mumford: 2-for-4, R, 2B
- Shelby Bailey: 2-for-4, 2 R, 2 RBIs, 2 2B
- Powell: 1-for-3, R, 2 RBIs, HR
- Renae Morton: 7.0 IP, 4 H, 5 BB, 4 SO
- The loss was the first game of the year for Berry in which they did not score a single run.
- The Vikings fall to 39-3 overall on the year, while Transylvania improves to 33-11.
- Three Vikings took the mound for Berry in the loss: Collop, Whitney Gribble and Makenzie Flynt.
Berry will take on the winner of Thomas More and Emory & Henry in an elimination game this afternoon at 4:00pm.