By: MacKenzie Tuttle, Digital Content Supervisor
MOUNT BERRY, Ga. - Ending the best season in program history, the Berry College softball team fell to the Pioneers of Transylvania University 8-0 in the NCAA Regional Championship matchup on Sunday afternoon.
The Vikings' record-setting season came to a close in five innings as Transy's Renae Morton tossed five scoreless frames to advance in the NCAA tournament.
Berry exits after collecting a program-best 40 wins this season, in addition to their fifth straight Southern Athletic Association (SAA) regular season title and their third straight trip to the NCAA tournament.
- The Pioneers jumped out to an early lead, plating two runs in the bottom of the third inning off of an RBI single and a wild pitch.
- Transylvania then added an additional run in the bottom of the fourth inning, following a bases loaded walk, to move the score to 3-0.
- The Pioneers added five runs off of three additional singles in the bottom of the fifth inning to push the score to 8-0 and ensure the run-rule victory over the Vikings.
- On the day, Berry added two hits to Transylvania's seven.
BERRY STATISTICAL STANDOUTS:
TRANSYLVANIA STATISTICAL STANDOUTS:
- Jessica Powell: 2-for-3, R
- Sydney Motell: 2-for-4, 3 RBIs
- Janelle Hynes: 1-for-2, R, RBI
- Shelby Gambrell: 1-for-3, R, 2 RBIs
- Shelbi Poehlein: 1-for-1, R, BB
- Renae Morton: 5.0 IP, 2 H, 3 K, BB, W (20-7)
- Berry finishes the season 40-4 overall, a new program record
- Transylvania advances to the NCAA Super Regional Competition, improving to 34-11 on the year.
- Marie Collop, Kassie Howard and Kayla Sangrey were named to the All-Tournament Team