By MacKenzie Tuttle, Digital Content Supervisor
MOUNT BERRY, Ga. - Marie Collop sent two over the wall, as the Berry College softball team opened NCAA Regional play with a 3-0 victory over Thomas More on Friday.
With game times being bumped up several hours due to late afternoon rain in the forecast, head coach Cori Thiermann sent Kassie Howard to the circle to open NCAA play. Kassie went on to toss a complete-game, one-hit shutout, fanning nine batters, en route to her 15th win on the year.
Howard's pitching doppelganger, Marie Collop, led the Vikings offensively sending two home runs over the left field fence to ensure the Vikings' 3-0 victory. Collectively, Berry tallied five hits against Alix DeDreu who came into the day with a sub-one ERA. DeDreu went the full six innings allowing two earned runs and striking out two.
The Vikings advance to face Transylvania University tomorrow at 11:00 a.m. in the winner's bracket.
- Collop opened up Berry's scoring with a leadoff homer over the left center fence in the bottom of the second to give the Vikings a 1-0 lead. Her at-bat went greater than 10 pitches.
- Elisabeth Federici then added a sacrifice fly to right field in the bottom of the same inning to score Kenzie Fleming and move Berry's lead to 2-0.
- Collop then added her second home run of the game in the bottom of the sixth inning to ensure Berry's 3-0 victory.
- Kassie Howard earned the win in the circle for Berry, tossing all seven innings while striking out nine batters and allowing only one hit. She had a no-hitter through 4.2 innings.
BERRY STATISTICAL STANDOUTS:
- Marie Collop: 2-for-3, 2 RBIs, 2 R, 2 HR
- Kenzie Fleming: 1-for-1, R, 2 BB
- Kayla Sangrey: 1-for-3
- Elisabeth Federici: 1-for-2, RBI
- Kassie Howard: 7.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 3 BB, 9 K, W (15-1)
THOMAS MORE STATISTICAL STANDOUTS:
- Bree Appel: 1-for-1
- Alix DeDreu: 6.0 IP, 5 H, 2 ER, 2 K, L (19-3)
- With the win, Berry improves to 39-2 on the year, tying a program record for wins in a season.
- Collop hit her seventh and eighth home runs of the year, extending her team-lead.
- Howard picked up her 15th win of the year, tying Marie Collop for the team-lead
- Thomas More falls to 35-9 overall.
- The Vikings will take on Transylvania in a semi-final matchup tomorrow at 11:00 a.m. Thomas More will face Emory & Henry tomorrow at 1:30 p.m.