By MacKenzie Tuttle, Digital Content Supervisor
CONWAY, Ark. – Both the men’s and women’s tennis teams bested Hendrix College in an SAA matchup on Saturday. The men’s team blanked the Warriors 9-0, and the women’s team edged Hendrix 5-4. The Hendrix women's team is currently ranked No. 18 in the region.
MEN’S TEAM RESULTS:
- All three Vikings’ doubles teams of Matt Blakely and Griffin Davis (8-2), Ryan Miner and Chase Gooding (8-3) and Jordan Crance and Daniel Alligood (9-8) defeated Hendrix on the day.
- Blakely also defeated Karthik Garimella 6-1, 6-1 in the No. 1-Singles spot for Berry.
- Davis bested Ian McVinney 6-2, 6-2 in the No. 2-Singles spot, and Miner added a 6-3, 6-3 win in the No. 3-Singles spot against Kristian Lenser.
- Gooding defeated Luke Lefler 6-0, 6-0 in the No. 4-Singles spot as well.
- Crance (6-1, 6-3) and Alligood (6-2, 6-0) rounded out scoring for the Vikings with a win apiece on Saturday.
WOMEN’S TEAM RESULTS:
- Mary Cerny and Lauren Byrket defeated Pratheepa Ravikumar and Becky Sherman 9-7 in the No. 1-Doubles spot for Berry.
- Sage Havrilla and Sydney Stone added an 8-5 win over Sarah Walker and Sarah Nieman in the No. 3-Doubles spot for the Vikings as well.
- Cerny (6-2, 6-2), Byrket (6-4, 3-6, 6-4) and Emmie Cornell (6-4, 6-2) each also added a singles victory on the day as well, to ensure Berry’s 5-4 victory over the Tigers.
- With the win, the men’s team improves to 10-4 overall, as well as 2-2 in the Southern Athletic Association.
- The women’s team improves to 7-6 and 1-3 on the year.
The Vikings will travel to Memphis, Tenn., to take on the Lynx of Rhodes College tomorrow at 10:00am.