By Adeline Pearman, Sports Information Assistant
ROME, Ga. – The Berry College men’s and women’s tennis teams fell to Birmingham-Southern College on Friday. The women’s team were defeated by the Panthers 8-1, while the men’s team fell 4-5.
WOMEN’S TEAM RESULTS:
- For Birmingham Southern the No. 1-Doubles team of Carlee Petro and Emily Whitlock (8-2), the No. 2-Doubles team of MaKenzie Courtney and Isabella Wisener(8-2) , and the No. 3-Doubles team of Bonnie Lioce and Lexie Dillard added three wins for Birmingham.
- Carlee Petro defeated Mary Cerny in the No. 1-Singles spot, 6-3 and 6-4.
- Isabella Wisener added a win in the No. 2-Singles spot as well for Brimingham.
- Emily Whitlock also earned a 6-1, 6-2 victory over Kelsey McCray in the No. 3-Singles spot.
- Sydney Stone rounded out (6-3, 6-3) play in the No. 4-Singles spot for Berry, earning the Vikings' sole win.
- Birmingham’s Mary Evelyn Carrol (6-4, 6-2) and Virginia Hammond (6-2, 6-1) took wins in both the No. 5 and No. 6-Singles spots to finish off the matches.
MEN’S TEAM RESULTS:
- The Vikings’ doubles teams of Matt Blakely and Griffin Davis (8-3) defeated Birmingham Southern in the No. 3-Doubles spot.
- Jacob Weinacker bested Blakely 6-2, 6- in the No. 1-Singles spot, and Alex Makarenko added a 6-2, 6-2 win in the No. 2-Singles spot against Davis.
- Ryan Miner defeated Jameson Bekaert 6-2, 6-4 in the No. 3-Singles, and Chase Gooding took a victory over George Chunn (6-0, 4-6,1-0) in the No. 4-singles spot for Berry.
- Jordan Crance added a loss to Lee Thompson (6-2,7-5) in the No. 5-Singles spot, while Alligood (6-2, 3-6, 6-2) rounded out scoring for the Vikings with a win in No.6-Singles against Charley Rowe to finish off Friday's play.
- The men’s tennis team is now 10-6 overall, as well as 2-4 in the SAA.
- The women’s team fell to 8-7 and 2-4.
- Berry will host Millsaps in their next SAA match tomorrow at 9:00am.